railroad on the condition that it would build a train station there that would remain open as
long as there were passenger trains on the Airline Rail.
In 1886, a post office was opened after a petition was sent to the Governor and approved.
The Wayman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church was established to serve the
community. It still stands next to Lyles Station School. Two grocery stores, a lumber mill,
blacksmith shop, the Sand Hill Cemetery and 55 homes were also part of the Lyles Station
By the dawn of the 20th Century, 800 people lived and farmed a 3 mile radius of Lyles
As the 20th Century progressed, the lure of steady paychecks, slowly drained the
populations of the small farming settlements. Young people wanted more, and the more
appeared to be anywhere but on the farm.
989 N 500 W, Princeton, IN 47670
9:30 am-10:00 am
Sunday Worship Service
10:00 am- 11:30 a.m