The Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation (LSHPC), a not-for-profit (501(C) 3) organization, was established in August 1998. The mission on the Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation is to preserve the oral, written, and physical history, artifacts, building, and land which identifies and/or describes events, activities and life experiences of the people and the community known as Lyles Station in Gibson County, Indiana, incorporated in 1886.
In 1999, the same year that the Lyles Consolidated School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Historic Landmarks Foundation listed it as one of Indiana’s Ten Most Endangered Places. The Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation acquired the property and began renovations on the building and developed a two-fold plan for use of the former school. This plan called for the establishment of a museum/local history center which would provide an opportunity for the public to witness the accomplishments and contributions of African-Americans, specifically those persons with heritage in rural southern Indiana, and the development of the Heritage School. Through the use of Historic Landmarks Statewide Revolving Loan Fund, the Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation purchased and completed emergency stabilization of the school.
In addition to previous support from the Gibson Community Foundation, LSHPC was awarded a grants from the United States Department of Agriculture & Build Indiana to complete the restoration of the building. The Architect was George Ridgway, the contractor Jeffrey Koester both noted by Preservationist to be among the best in the physical restoration of rare and historic properties.
953 N. County Road. 500 W.
PO Box 1193
Princeton, IN 47670